Functional Medicine Cincinnati, OH
As a leading doctor in the city, I’m often asked by patients, “How is Functional Medicine in Cincinnati, OH different than going to see my primary care provider or other doctors?” According to The Institute for Functional Medicine, “Functional Medicine determines how and why illness occurs and restores health by addressing the root causes of disease for each individual.” Our doctors can assess and treat your health problems differently than your traditional physician.
The Human Body’s Challenges
Pain, stress, and addictions seem to be plaguing everyone living in a modern society. Addicted to sugar, caffeine, and cell phones, surrounded by toxic chemicals, and stressed to the max, the human body has never before dealt with so many health taxing challenges. Each of these can be a cause and an effect, a trigger and a mediator. All three are fundamental underlying causes of chronic disease, obesity, and early death. The best functional medicine doctors in Cincinnati know how to restore balance to your body’s systems and will guide you from chronic stress and illness to peak health and lasting wellness.
Long-term stress can aggravate chronic pain and trigger other negative states of physical and emotional pain. The link between unmanaged stress and addictions can no longer be ignored. The link between chronic pain and drug addiction is now well known. At Spine Wellness Cincinnati, our experienced team provides cutting-edge Ohio Functional Medicine in Cincinnati to help reverse the modern drivers of chronic disease.
How Our Doctors Can Help
Functional medicine focuses on the underlying cause, prevention and treatment of chronic disease. Eating a balanced diet, exercising and taking a multivitamin is simply not enough. Each person’s body is unique in its own way. Due to the complexity of the human body, an individualized healthcare approach is the only way to guarantee optimal results.
Your body is a delicate balancing act between interrelated systems. Stress, family, genes, environment, toxins, diet, lifestyle, medication, and exercise can affect hormone levels, neurotransmitters, nutritional status, and inflammation in the body. When this internal balancing act is thrown off, our bodies respond with symptoms, illness and disease. By working to restore balance among your body’s systems, the team at Spine and Wellness Cincinnati can help you move from chronic illness toward lasting wellness.
Why We Need Functional Medicine:
- Our society is experiencing a sharp increase in the number of people who suffer from complex, chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, cancer, mental illness, and autoimmune disorders.
- The system of medicine practiced by most physicians is oriented towards acute care or symptom management. Physicians apply specific, prescribed treatments such as drugs or surgery that aim to treat the immediate problem or symptom.
- Unfortunately, the symptom management approach to medicine lacks the proper methodology and tools for preventing and treating complex, chronic disease much less achieving optimal health. In most cases it does not take into account the unique genetic makeup of each individual or factors such as environmental exposures to toxins and other aspects of today’s lifestyle that have a direct influence on the rise in chronic disease in modern Western society.
- Most physicians are not adequately trained to assess the underlying causes of complex, chronic disease and to apply strategies to treat and prevent these illnesses in their patients while helping them achieve their optimal health.
Functional Medicine, Chronic Pain and Acupuncture
Like many people, you may suffer from chronic neck and back pain. When this is the case, your daily tasks may become uncomfortable quickly and you may be unable to perform well at work or to conduct your daily hobbies. For most people who have chronic neck and back pain, their first reaction may be to pop some over-the-counter pills to help ease their pain. If the pain has become debilitating, they may even go to the doctor for stronger medication.
However, many people prefer not to rely on medication for their neck and back pain because medication can quickly become addictive and it can also inhibit our reaction time and make you drowsy. If you fall into this category, you should consider seeing how our doctors for Functional Medicine in Cincinnati can help you with your neck and back pain.
About Acupuncture Treatments
Acupuncture is a traditional form of Chinese medicine where a trained and certified acupuncturist uses a set of thin needles and inserts them into a person’s body. While the idea of this may be scary for some, you should always go to a reputable acupuncturist who has education and training in where your body’s muscles, nerves, and internal organs are.
Additionally, the needles used for acupuncture are very thin and your acupuncturist should be using needles for the first time, every time you have an appointment. By inserting these needles into different areas of your body, they can help you unblock your Qi. The traditional belief is that when your Qi is blocked it causes your body pain.
Common Causes of Neck and Back Pain
Some of the most common causes for neck and back pain are:
- Muscle strain.
- Poor sitting, standing, or sleeping position.
- Lack of exercise.
- Being overweight.
- Improper form in exercises.
Where Needs Can Be Inserted
You may be surprised to find that when you go in for Cincinnati, OH Functional Medicine regarding one area (like your neck and back) your acupuncturist may actually insert needles into an entirely different area of your body. For example, when some people go in complaining of a headache, they may find their acupuncturist inserts needles into their feet. Your acupuncturist is trained to understand the different areas in your body that stimulate pain relief and help to unblock the energy.
Benefits of Acupuncture
Acupuncture helps to treat your entire body. Even if you go in for neck pain, you will likely find that your whole body (as well as your mind) begins to relax and feel relief. When your muscles are stiff, this can cause pain not only in your neck and back but throughout your body. It can also cause added stress and headache, and you may find these beginning to reduce during your treatments as well.
How Functional Medicine is Different
Functional medicine involves understanding the origins, prevention, and treatment of complex, chronic disease. Hallmarks of a functional medicine approach include:
- Patient-centered care. The focus of functional medicine is on patient-centered care, promoting optimal health beyond just the absence of disease. By listening to the patient and learning his or her story, the practitioner brings the patient into the discovery process and tailors treatments that address the individual’s unique needs.
- An integrative, science-based healthcare approach. Functional medicine practitioners consider the complex web of interactions in the patient’s history, physiology, and lifestyle that can lead to illness. The unique genetic makeup of each patient is considered, along with both internal (mind, body and spirit) and external (physical, social and environmental) factors that affect total functioning.
- Integrating best medical practices. Functional medicine integrates traditional Western medical practices with “integrative” medicine, creating a focus on prevention. Data is obtained through the use of the latest laboratory testing and other diagnostic techniques. A comprehensive plan is then prescribed for the individual patient which may include hormonal balancing, medications, botanicals, supplements, therapeutic diets, detoxification programs, and stress-management techniques.
You Deserve the Best Functional Medicine Doctors
Don’t let yourself or your loved ones suffer with chronic health problems. Spine Wellness Cincinnati is dedicated to making sure you achieve a peak state of health. From beginning to end, our skilled team will work with you to make sure you understand every step of the journey back to peak health. We empathize with the pain and suffering you’re going through and will work tirelessly to make sure you achieve your health goals. Don’t settle for just any doctor. Your quality of life and livelihood is more important than that. You deserve to have someone experienced and passionate guiding you on your health journey.
Our top-notch functional medicine doctors from Cincinnati, Ohio at Spine and Wellness Cincinnati is just a phone call away, so call us today!