Sciatica Pain Treatment
Sciatica is a kind of back pain that most commonly arises due to a herniated disc in the lower spine. This herniation can cause compression of nerves along with adding extra pressure on them. Compression of the sciatic nerve can lead to excruciating pain which begins in your lower back and can radiate to your buttocks, hips, legs, and even your feet. Typically sciatica is known to affect only one particular side of a person’s body.
TWO TYPES OF NERVE DISTURBANCES
- Compressed lesion
The compressive lesion is differentiated by the following attributes:
- Chronic condition
- Loss of vision (painless)
- Facilitative lesion
An irritation that is caused by scraping, stretching, and rubbing of the nerve tissue that eventually causes the loss of the spine curve.
SYMPTOMS OF SCIATICA
The symptoms of sciatica can start with excruciating pain in your lower back which can radiate to either side of your limbs. The pain may be sharp or severe in nature or just a mild one.
Additional symptoms of sciatica may include:
- Tingling in foot or leg
- Weakness in foot or leg
- Numbness in the foot or leg
- Pain in the lower back
- Worsening pain in sitting position
- Been on the hips
- Burning sensation in legs
- Difficulty in moving foot or leg
- Constant one-sided pain in the buttocks
- Sciatica leg pain
CAUSES OF SCIATICA IN Cincinnati, Ohio
Sciatica is quite common. Sciatica usually starts with either a bone spur or a herniated disc which causes the pinching of the sciatic nerve.
Additional causes of sciatica in Cincinnati Ohio Include:
- Lumbar spinal stenosis
- Muscle spasms in buttocks or back
LONG TERM PROBLEMS DUE TO IGNORING SCIATICA
If you tend to ignore sciatica treatment, then it can worsen your symptoms over time, leading to excruciating pain and additional symptoms like:
- Severe sciatica leg pain
- Numbness in legs
- Vigness in lower limbs or extremities
- Loss of Bowel or bladder control
TEMPORARY PAIN RELIEF FOR SCIATICA
For temporary sciatica relief, you can use cold packs or heating pads for your legs or lower back pain. You can try stretch exercises some resort to an over-the-counter medications like ibuprofen and aspirin, to alleviate pain and reduce swelling or inflammation.
TREATMENT FOR SCIATICA
Sciatica treatment includes:
- Medications like muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatory to help relieve pain
- Cold packs are also suggested to relieve lower back pain
- Stretch exercises are recommended for sciatic nerve pain
- Keeping yourself in motion also helps in reducing information
- Chiropractic care
- Physical therapy
- Steroid injections
AWARDS & RECOGNITIONS
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
Request an appointment online by calling us on
- Existing Patient: +1 (513) 428 – WELL(9355)
- New Patient: +1 (513) 449 – 2637
You can also use the online booking tool below
How do we treat SCIATICA?
LET US HELP TO TREAT YOUR SCIATICA
Do not ignore your Sciatica/Pinched Nerve, it can become worse overtime. It’s important to consult with the doctor and understand the root cause of Sciatica/Pinched Nerve.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT Sciatica/Pinched Nerve
Your medical insurance will cover the cost of sciatica treatment in Cincinnati, Ohio.
A complete nerve recovery takes about 6 to 12 weeks. However, your symptoms may start to reduce as you take medications and symptoms may subside somewhere around four weeks.
Sciatica comes with risk factors that include:
- Changes related to age like herniated discs or bone spurs
- Obesity which adds greater stress to your spine
- Occupational requirements which result in twisting your back, or lifting heavy loads
- Prolonged sitting positions or a sedentary lifestyle can also contribute
- Diabetes can also increase the risk of any form of nerve damage
Sciatica in Cincinnati, Ohio can have numerous underlying reasons like a bone overgrowth or herniated discs. which can cause compression of your nerves.
Sciatica is not necessarily associated with a trauma and can have various other reasons for its cause. Additionally, diabetes, occupational requirements, a sedentary lifestyle, age, and diabetes can also lead to sciatic nerve damage.
There are a number of reasons which can contribute to worsening your pre-existing condition. Sudden movements and positions are known to worsen sciatica pain. These movements and positions cause irritation to the site of the herniated disk, along with inflammation. This eventually leads to intensified pain.
Ice cold packs when applied to the area of pain caused by sciatica can help in reducing inflammation. On the contrary, you can use heat pads to increase your body’s blood flow to this particular area.
Sciatica is known to affect only one side of your body, although bilateral sciatica does exist. Bilateral sciatica is quite rare and is an outcome of degenerative vertebral changes at the spinal cord level, for instance, conditions like cauda equina syndrome can lead to the existence of bilateral sciatica.
If you have sciatica and are about to sit, then it will increase the pressure on your herniated discs. Subsequently, it adds additional tension to your piriformis muscles, indirectly causing your sciatic nerve to be irritated and reach inflammation. Hence, it is better to avoid certain positions for a longer time period, if you have sciatica.
Yes, a pillow can help contribute towards sciatica treatment. A two-piece cushion wedge can help in relieving the pressure buildup on your sciatic nerve root. This also helps and relieving the pain caused by this condition.
- Pain relief medications like Ibuprofen and Acetaminophen will help ease your pain and inflammation.
- Massaging the back, hip or legs with a topical analgesic like Methyl Salicylate may also offer some relief.
- When pain persists for more than three days, and limits physical activity, schedule an appointment with your doctor for the necessary workup and management.